Photobucket

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Daddy of 'em All

Cheyenne Frontier Days is the largest outdoor rodeo and western celebration in the world. It happens every year at the end of July for a week and a half. It brings in 100,000 tourists for the duration of the festivities. Every night there is at least one big name concert. There is a carnival, free breakfast buffets, museums, exhibitions, and, of course, The Daddy of 'em All (the professional rodeo).

Every Wednesday during Frontier Days is Cheyenne Day. All the businesses close down, and everyone just parties. Tyler's office closed at noon, so since he had never been to a rodeo before, we decided to head on over. I wasn't too pumped because I have been to rodeos in the past and haven't been super impressed. I shouldn't have underestimated The Daddy of 'em All. It was rockin'! Below you can see just half of the arena. It is huge. We had really great seats, but they were on the opposite side of the chutes, which supposedly is not as exciting.



Our favorite event was easily the bull riding competition. Oh yeah, I also loved the funnel cake.
Add Image
About half way through the rodeo, rain started pouring down. As soon as the down pour came, "Sweet Home Alabama" started blaring from the speakers, and the stadium went nuts. It got so bad that the bucking horses wouldn't even come out of their chutes. The cowboys couldn't wrestle their calves to the ground because it was so muddy. I felt like a real red neck just being there.


The Thunderbirds have come to Frontier Days for 55 consecutive years. They have been practicing over our house all week. They performed an air show this morning, and all the pilots showed up to the rodeo in a stagecoach.

All in all, it was a pretty fun day. Anyone who wants to join in the fun next year, you got a place to stay!

7 comments:

Rowdy said...

We might just take you up on that....
Sounds like a blast.

Tory said...

It's too bad you read that before I fixed my spelling error. Whoops!

Lindsey Jensen said...

That looks like a blast! I would love to be there and see all the action! We might have to figure out a summer that we can make it up there to see it all!

k.young said...

I AM SO MAD! I love the rodeo. Any rodeo, really. I wish I would have known that was going on. I would totally have come there and gone. I am trying to get someone to go to the rodeo here with me the first week in August. So far, it is just me and Keeli. But I am there next year, for sure!

Rowdy said...

Diane has never been to a rodeo, monster truck jam or tractor pull.

Tory said...

Well, Diane burned furniture last weekend, so I would say she is getting more in touch with her White Trash side everyday. Baby steps, I guess.

Jenny said...

Miss Tory Bricco! Remember me? Your family is too cute!

Tory's Tunes