Photobucket

Friday, July 10, 2009

Fourth of July

My goodness, where do I even begin? We went camping with the McLachlans over the Fourth of July weekend in South Dakota. We left Thursday after work and got to the campground at about midnight. Bradlee spend the majority of that night puking, and I spent the majority of that night cleaning her up and holding a bowl. The next day we headed up to Mount Rushmore to see some awesome fireworks. We knew there was going to be about 20 to 30 thousand people there, and we thought we were prepared for that. By the time we got there, Tyler and I had to walk about three miles uphill with the kids. Luckily, we had a stroller for Brock. I almost forgot to mention that is was a torrential down pour this whole time, and that mountain is steep. We were determined to wait out the storm. Even when it wasn't raining it was impossible to dry off because of the thick humidity, but it did clear up and we did have some fun waiting about twelve hours for the fireworks to start.

Here's Buddy workin' it with the ladies. What girl doesn't like a water bottle to the face?


A typical Bradlee face. She is generally annoyed. "Seriously, dad, why are you still looking at me?"



Handsome devil.



Miss America.



Here's what they look like wet. I know you were curious.











The whole day had been a struggle, but we all tried our hardest to stay in a good mood because this fireworks show was supposed to be one of the top five in the nation. But, alas, when the time came....this was all we could see.






I kid you not, after all that, WE DIDN'T SEE ONE FREAKIN' FIREWORK, and I love fireworks! The fog was way too thick. About ten minutes into the fireworks display, that we couldn't see, we decided to walk down the mountain back to our car. The walk down was much more enjoyable.





That night we drove through Custer State Park back to our campground. The drive was awesome. They had these crazy tunnels cut straight through the rock.



Saturday we just took our time in the morning, and then went to have lunch at Sylvan Lake (where the end of National Treasure 2 was filmed). After that we went on a tour of Jewel Cave. That was super cool. That cave is seriously ginormous (that means super huge).



I was camping. Don't judge me.




They also have a spelunking cave tour. You have to be able to fit through this hole in order to go on that tour. FYI, Collin made it!



Sunday we went back to the Mount Rushmore Memorial because it was such a nice day, and I wanted to get a better look at it before we left. It was a much more enjoyable experience. That is definitely something everybody needs to see. Very cool!








Well, I cleaned up puke, walked three miles uphill in rain, used an outhouse and showered in a public shower. It was awesome! No, I am just kidding. I am sure I was a little high strung the whole time, but I was really glad to be able to see Mount Rushmore and spend time together as a family. I am just not a good camper, but I guess that's not a surprise! Even though I'm a little traumatized, we made some great memories, and Bradlee's new favorite word is Rushmore.

5 comments:

tenacious d said...

That is such a bummer about the fireworks! It sounded like the perfect place to be for the 4th. I think that I'd be about as enthusiastic about the whole thing as you. But, sounds like you survived and even had a good time when all was said and done. Rushmore is pretty cool.

Wendy said...

You were NOT uptight! You were awesome! Not the best of circumstances for even the most seasoned camper, I know. Thanks for putting up with us. We had a great time. (Okay, it would have been perfect without the puking and with the fireworks, but still . . .)

Rowdy said...

you look great for "camping".

did you notice how ugly most people are in south dakota?

oh, and how come you didnt go to Bear Country USA??????

Hannah said...

right when I first read that you went camping, I said WHAT? You don't camp. Great job tho! Sucks about the fireworks, that would have been awesome. I can't believe how big your kids got in the time between posts! Lets not wait that long again!!!

k.young said...

Sounds like a fun trip, except missing the fireworks. I think all the pictures are pretty cute!

Tory's Tunes